(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Saturday, August 12, 2006

I Capture the Castle

I Capture the Castle, by Dodie Smith
OK, all the other books I've reviewed are ones I've ones I've just read (yes, before you ask, I am a speed reader. I had this one teacher, when I was 7, and we were only supposed to one one page of our reading books each night, but I actually read the whole thing. Each night. She hated me for that, because eventually I didn't have any reading books, because I'd read them all. Happy times.), but I'm making an exception in this case. I Capture the Castle is #1 on my favourite book list (not to be confused with my favourite author list. Must post that some time.), so I had to review it. This is one wacky family. There's her father, who is supposdly a writer...he just hasn't written a book for about 7 years. Then there's Rose, Cassandra's sister who's 21 and will do anything for money. There's Thomas, who doesn't really matter because he hasn't anything to do with the plot. There's Steven, who used to be the Mortmains servant, but because they're broke, they can't pay him. But, because he's in love with Cassandra he stays and works...for no pay. (NB: working for no pay is a baaaaad idea) And then two American strangers turn up, and everything goes topsy-turvy. Extreme style.
Someone made a low-budget movie of this, which I keep on meaning to track down. But now there's supposdly some big-budget version of it coming which SUCKS. I saw the movie edition of the book, and CASSANDRA DOESN'T LOOK LIKE CASSANDRA. None of them look like the characters they're supposed to be. Cassandra, you are not supposed to look capricous, OK? Also, did they even have tank tops in the 1930s? No? THEN WHY IS CASSANDRA WEARING A TANK TOP?! Also, the book looked too short, which makes me think they wrote a movie edition of it, just like they did with the Narnia books. (Yep. They wrote movie editions. Of Narnia. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM?!) Anyway, sorry, this turned into a rant, didn't it? The upshot of it is, go read the book. It's fab.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home